Are there any expectant mothers in your life right now? If so, it's time to pamper them, and help them prepare for baby’s arrival! Today we're sharing tips to help you select gifts that moms-to-be actually need and want to receive at their baby shower (or simply as a fun surprise anytime).
What type of gift should I bring to a baby shower?
Naturally, it's a good idea to start your gift-giving brainstorm by checking the mother-to-be's registry (if she has one). Even if you don't want to select something from it, or there's nothing left that suits your budget, you can at least gather insights and inspiration. You'll see what sorts of things the expectant mom likes; what has already been bought for her; and maybe what sorts of colors and themes she might be using in the nursery.
What are some simple gift ideas for a baby shower?
If you’re searching beyond the registry, or looking to give a gift independent of a baby shower, these ideas are always winners:
- Diapers! – It might sound silly, but new moms always love a practical gift, plus this is something that is super-easy to order online. Maybe even set up a several-month "subscription" (And you can always add a cute, unique toy to make a practical gift more fun!)
- A baby carrier or stroller – These are both necessities, so if you know for a fact that the new mom doesn't have one yet, these are generous gift ideas sure to be much appreciated and used! If you need some ideas, check out Baby Journey's best strollers list.
- Books – You can’t go wrong with books, and it’s hard for a kid to have too many. Check out Barnes & Noble’s list of the 50 best books to bring to a baby shower, featuring classics as well as newer titles.
- A safe place to put baby down – Our new boho-chic playmats are just the thing if you're shopping for a mom with a great sense of sustainable style, who loves her home to be a beautiful haven. (Our macrame swing is also at the top of many moms' wish lists!)
- Clothing basics (and maybe size up!) — The truth is that moms-to-be are often inundated with clothing for newborns. Clothes (especially cute, eco-friendly ones!) are always appreciated, but consider selecting items that are for ages 6 months+ or beyond. These will be more useful for mom!
- Looking for some "on trend" baby gift ideas that will get mama's excited to open the pretty box. Go here to get some more ideas for baby shower gifts.
A few final pointers: Once you've selected your gift, be sure to get a gift receipt if you can – just in case the item isn't something the mom-to-be can use, or in case she already has enough of something. And yes, practical and thoughtful gifts rule the day. So, get creative, or keep it simple; ultimately your gift is a gesture of love and support. Happy gift-giving!